Facts About Dizziness
You are not alone. Balance and dizziness disorders affect people of all ages.
- Many children with vestibular disorders face developmental and learning challenges.
- Mild to severe head trauma is a leading risk factor for dizziness – over 50,000 Canadians have brain injuries each year.
- Benign paroxysmal positional vertigo (BPPV), the most common vestibular disorder, is most often treatable.
- Up to 35% of adults 40 years and older – over six million Canadians – have a vestibular problem at some point in their lives.
- An estimated 33% of all adults with chronic imbalance have problems performing basic activities of daily living.
- One in three British Columbians over the age of 65 loses balance and falls every year. Fall-related injuries in Canada cost the economy $2.8 billion a year.