Dealing with Depression
Many people with vestibular disorders experience dizziness-related depression. The symptoms of some disorders can be distressing and upsetting. They can include nausea, vomiting, sweating, panic sensations and ‘situation avoidance’ behaviors. These symptoms are real and legitimate – they do not represent psychiatric disease.
Symptoms of depression
Source: Public Health Agency of Canada
A general rule of thumb for recognizing depression is experiencing at least five of the following symptoms continually for more than two weeks:
- Depressed mood
- Feelings of guilt, worthlessness, helplessness or hopelessness
- Loss of interest or pleasure in usually-enjoyed activities
- Change in weight or appetite
- Sleep disturbances
- Decreased energy or fatigue (without significant physical exertion)
- Thoughts of death
- Poor concentration or difficulty making decisions
Seeking professional help
If you suspect you might be depressed, checking in with your family doctor is a good place to begin. If you or someone you know is having recurring thoughts of suicide, it is very important that they get medical help right away.
For immediate help
Contact the Crisis Centre. Help is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Phone:
- Anywhere in BC: 1-800-SUICIDE (1-800-784-2433)
- Vancouver: 604-872-3311
- Sunshine Coast/Sea to Sky: 1-866-661-3311
Finding a mental health counsellor
Seeing a mental health professional can range in price from free to approximately $160 per 50-minute session. Some workplaces offer access to counselling through benefit programs such as Employee Assistance Programs (EPA) and extended health coverage.
The BC Associations of Clinical Counsellors (BCACC) maintains a searchable directory of Registered Clinical Counsellors (RCC) in BC.
Many counsellors offer a sliding scale and there are several options in the Lower Mainland where substantially reduced prices are offered – expect to join a waiting list. These include:
- Family Services of Greater Vancouver
Serves Vancouver, New Westminster and Richmond.
- Family Services of the North Shore
Services the City and District of North Vancouver, West Vancouver, Lions Bay and Bowen Island.
- Oak Counselling Services Society
Located in Vancouver.
- Counselling Clinic at the Adler Centre
Located in Vancouver.